1.Stay well clear of people who love their work and stick around with your mates who also hate their job. You can grumble together and accept that this is just the way it is.
2. Take a glance at the weekly job pages and online vacancies. That's the only way to find work so if there's no interesting vacancy there, there's no interesting vacancy anywhere.
3. Of course you'd love to change jobs but don't tell anyone or ask for help. You don't want them to doubt your independence or use their own network to see if there is any way they can help you. And you certainly don't want them checking up on you to see how you're progressing or give you a proverbial kick up the backside!
4. Believe that you don't choose a job. You just take what is available.
5. Believe that there's no point in looking elsewhere because at least you have a job. Times are hard and you should be grateful. Besides, there are no jobs out there anyway.
6. If you need to retrain to do your dream job, don't bother. You can't afford it and there's no point asking about funding. You won't be entitled. Retraining isn't worth giving up the Sky subscription or the skiing holiday for.
7. Your partner would much rather see you come home feeling miserable than doing something you love, even if it means a drop in salary. Grin and bear it. Stiff upper lip and all that…
8. You've been trained to do your job and you do it well. That clearly means that this is all you're good at. Why develop other skills and feel that sense of incompetence even for a short while?
9. You hate your job, it makes you feel miserable. But despite the long hours and the fact that you hardly see the kids during the week, it has great perks – company car, great jollies, private health insurance….just remind yourself how lucky you are.
10. Don't remind yourself about how talented you are and how you've managed to be successful in the past. It will have no bearing on your chances of success in the future.
11 Procrastinate. If there's a great job out there it will fall into your lap and you won't have to do anything to make it happen.